Snort mailing list archives

Re: HW Specs

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:59:44 +0000

--On 21 November 2005 14:34 +0100 "Brian J. Dyrehauge" <bjd () bridicum com> wrote:

I'm about to buy some hardware, and need to know what specs to go with.
I'll be using Snort and MySQL on the same machine.

I'd really recommend splitting the sensor role from the database role, and running them on separate machines for best performance.

We'll be monitoring on 2 NICs. Net traffic will be, as far as I've been
informed by our customer, 17 GB on one NIC and 14 GB on the other NIC.
The
switch is a 100 MB, which means no Gigabit traffic.

Do you guys have any recommendations as to what hardware I should buy?
Take into consideration that it has to be non-expensive. ;)

These questions are always a bit vague as everyone's traffic patterns and NIDS config is different. However, for guidance, I'm using two Dell PowerEdge 2850s (2xXeon 3.2 Nocona (800MHz FSB, EM64T), E7520/E7525 chipset) running CentOS 4.2 x86_64.

The sensor has 2xIntel Pro/1000 MT Quad Port NICs, 4GB memory and 2x10K RPM SCSI discs, mirrored, connected to a PERC 4e/Di.

The database console has 8GB memory and 4x10K RPM discs RAID10'ed on a PERC 4e/Di. The kernel is running with elevator=deadline to improve IO scheduling performance.

The sensor is currently monitoring a single 100Mbit (pretty much solid, 24x7) feed from a SPAN port and has all rules enabled (including bleeding and community), with a fair bit of session tagging, and is utilizing 15-30% of one CPU and 188Mbyte of memory to do so. Snort is linked against Phil Wood's modified libpcap and configured to use the maximum buffer size. Hopefully the CPU usage will decrease once I've had a chance to tune the rules properly.

The sensor feeds its alerts into the console using FLoP. The console is currently using MySQL (this may change to PgSQL in the future). MySQL is currently using 2.2Gbyte of memory and sometimes flattens (99.9%) a single CPU, especially if the database is being queried whilst events are being logged.

If you need to economise, I'd recommend starting with eliminating the RAID and ~3GByte memory on the sensor. For further economy, reduce the console's memory to 4GByte. If you have the option, an Opteron-based machine might well be better for the console (and the sensor, if you can find one with multiple PCI-X busses - for a reasonable price).

I also have a test NIDS, which has all the software running on a single machine. It's a P4 1.7, 768Mbyte of memory and a single 40G ATA disc. It's monitoring a <=30Mbit/s feed, and it barely copes, often dropping packets. I've even disabled a number of noisy rules that, ideally, I'd like to leave enabled.

Yours sincerely,
Brian

HTH,
Alex.