Snort mailing list archives

RE: What tool? Fastest way to generate port info to build acl protection?

From: "Jim Hendrick" <jrhendri () maine rr com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:31:51 -0500

Not really what you asked but...

You *really* should consider the risks of running this with just router
ACLs.

It is certainly possible to lock Exchange into specific ports for its RPC
traffic (look at MS site for papers about running it through firewalls) but
this would be a lot easier / more secure if you looked into a VPN between
the routers.

You did not specify, but I can infer (possibly incorrectly) that you are
connecting over a non-trusted link (gulp...) and you should seriously look
at more than port-based security.

You might even be able to set up IPSEC using PKI (are they W2K3 servers?)
although it would really be simpler with a FW & VPN link.

Just my 2c...

Jim Hendrick
GCFW, GCIA, GCIH, GCWN