Snort mailing list archives

Re: Changing the Community sid-msg.map

From: Richard Harman <snort () richardharman com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:10:27 -0500

I vote in favor.

Also, if people are just running something akin to 'find /path/to/rules
- -type f -iname \*sig-msg.map -exec cat {} > /path/to/sid-msg.map', I
would strongly suggest not doing so.

Instead, use the utility scripts that come with oinkmaster
(create-sidmap.pl, addsid.pl) that will actually parse the rules, and
generate a sid-msg.map/fix things for you.  It's much safer that way,
especially if you use barnyard.  Otherwise, you run the chance of rules
missing from the sidmaps, or malformed rules w/o sids or msgs causing
you headaches.

Can you tell I've been bitten by this in the past?  *grin*

Richard Harman

Alex Kirk wrote:
considering making a small change to the format of Community rulepacks:
we'd like to change the name of sid-msg.map to community-sid-msg.map.
This would eliminate the naming conflict with sid-msg.map from the VRT
rule set. Before we do so, though, we wanted to check with the community
at large, to ensure that this change won't break anyone's
scripts/tools/etc. If you know of any problems this would cause, please
let us know now, so that we can work with you to prevent such problems
while still eliminating this conflict.

Alex Kirk
Community Rules Maintainer
Sourcefire, Inc.

- --
"Looks like there'll be no money for you, Crazy Round Man."
                                             - Samurai Jack
Richard G Harman Jr           <me+nospam () richardharman com>