Snort mailing list archives

trouble starting Barnyard

From: Larry Wichman <larrywichman () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:19:40 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to get Barnyard working for the 1st time; I am using the following syntax to start it:

barnyard -c /etc/snort/barnyard.conf -d /var/log/snort -f snort.alert

I configured my barnyard.conf file to send alerts to my database

I configured my snort.conf file for unified file output (snort.alert) and when I start snort I get a file created
called snort.alert.11283xxx(whatever) and a file called ‘alert’

I guess I am confused….I am telling Barnyard that the spool directory is /var/log/snort and the file to read the alerts
is snort.alert, but Snort seems to be adding an arbitrary suffix to the file name.

Anyway, it does not look like Barnyard is doing anything; there are no alerts from Snort to my database. Any ideas out
there? As always, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Larry