Snort mailing list archives

Snort performance and maintenance

From: Hubert Edward kIYIMBA <hekiyimba () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:17:10 -0800 (PST)

My snort IDS has got 40GB Hard disk, 3GHz microprocessor speed and 1GB RAM. It is connected so as to capture traffic
from the internet into the network. This machine has been running for three months now.

The machine has deteriorated in performance. It is so slow. The ACID takes so long to load. The current statistics from
the machine is as follows

 using command # free -t -m the following is displayed

 TotalusedfreesharedbufferscashedMem99698790652777-/+bufferscasche 147849   swap20472071840   Total304411951849

using the top command I discovered that MS-SQL takes 40 to 50 % CPU usage full time.

I am seeking advice on how to improve the performance of the IDS

Thanks