Snort mailing list archives

Re: Tagged Packet ... AAAHHH

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:36:59 -0500

Dirk is right. It could be a reassembled packet logging as well. There's nothing wrong with having "tag" in a rule (I referenced bleedingsnort.com, as there are alot of good rules over there that use "tag", to capture more of a referenced alert, it wasn't a hit on bleedingsnort.com, it's just a reference)

As a good friend of mine told me, "old snort used to reassemble attacks into a "pseudo" packet and that is what you got as an alert. These days you will get the member packets instead of the pseudo packet". So if you have an alert that is generated, stream4 will give you the "after packets" instead of the "one pseudo" packet. Those "after packets" are called "tagged packet"