Snort mailing list archives

Re: Suppress alerts

From: Peter Rodger <prodger2008 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:21:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Joel,

Here is the info:

I am running Snort on windows .   I'm
using IIS6, MSSQL, PHP, and BASE on windows2003.

Currently,
[snort] (portscan) Open Port
[snort] (portscan) UDP Portsweep
[snort] (http_inspect) BARE BYTE UNICODE ENCODING

Are generating too many alerts. I have attempted to
suppress these alerts in my threshold.conf file like
the following:
suppress gen_id 122, sig_id 27
suppress gen_id 122, sig_id 19
suppress gen_id 119, sig_id 4

But those alerts are still generating a lot as before.
The threshold.conf file
is in /snort/etc directory following the instruction
in snort.conf file. (the file in the /etc and /rules
folder) Even I changed threshold.conf in the \rules
directory, the result is still same.

Please see the attached snort.conf and threshold.conf
files in the \snort\etc folder.

I did change threshold.conf in both /etc and /rules
folders and include d:\win-ds\snort\etc\threshold.conf
in the snort.conf file.
Still can not surppess these alerts?

In snort.conf file, I do have this include line
include d:\win-ids\snort\etc\threshold.conf

In threshold.conf, I have
suppress gen_id 122, sig_id 27
suppress gen_id 122, sig_id 19
suppress gen_id 119, sig_id 4

I do not know why these alerts can not be surppressed?

Thanks for your help,

Peter

--- Joel Esler <joel.esler () sourcefire com> wrote:

We need a bit more info that what you've provided.

Joel