Snort mailing list archives

Re: Optimizing Snort, MySQL & BASE installation

From: Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:33:16 -0400

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 11:33, Affan Basalamah wrote:
Hi all,

The problem about it is Alert management. After running it for one
day, the BASE console start working slowly, took very long time to
display the main console, and unable to run queries on Most Recent 15
Unique Alert and Most Frequent 5 Unique Alert. Mostly we have 1
million Alert for 1 day operation. I have already minimize my
signature to detect only most frequent alert, such as worm/virus. The
false positives have been commented out of my snort.conf and signature
files.

This is a common complaint.<g>

Snort version is 2.3.3, MySQL is 4.1 and BASE is 1.3.3, Schema Version
106. The configuration is mainly uses default parameter.

While the defaults are decent for performance, they aren't the best.

I want to know how is the solution about my problem. Do I have to
optimize my MySQL settings ?

Yes.

Do I have to use Barnyard ?

Barnyard will not help the performance of BASE but will help with Snort
itself.  I recommend it!

Do I have to
delete or archive my Alert database regularly ?

You do not have too.

Is information on ACID
websites about optimization is still relevant to BASE ?

Yes, for the most part it is still valid.  We are in the process of
upgrading the BASE site to have more information.

This is my first experience with Snort/MySQL/BASE, and I appreciate
all the help I can get.

Thanks for trying it out.

-affan

Kevin