Snort mailing list archives

Wrong setup?

From: tmp <skrald () amossen dk>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:40:04 +0200

I have just installed snort on my debian (sid) box. During the
installation I entered "any" as HOME_NET.
But when I perform a portscan from another machine, nothing is written
to the logs (/var/log/snort/*). And that's worrying me.

1) How can I test that the setup really do work?

2) Why are there two config files, snort.conf and snort.debian.conf?
Booth seems to define HOME_NET but only snort.debian.conf defines the
mail recipient. In order to change HOME_NET, will I have to modify both
config files then?

Thanks