Snort mailing list archives

RE: Help newb understand how Snort is supposed to run.

From: "Patrick Harper" <patrick () internetsecurityguru com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 02:05:39 -0500

The init script is in the dir that you un-tar'd the snort source in.  Or a
better one in my opinion is at http://www.ntsug.org/downloads/snort  it was
written by our own wonderful Paul Schmehl of the NTSUG group www.ntsug.org
and of UTD fame.

The doc for CentOS, RHEL, and FC is a pretty good starting point, but I may
be a little biased in that thinking.  I will be updating it for all the
latest versions and adding an oinkmaster, barnyard, and sguil doc to the mix
to it starting this week.

Also, anyone in the Dallas area that wants to learn more about rules free up
Saturday the 10th of September for the NTSUG meeting.  David Thomason of
Sourcefire will be giving a talk the subject, more info to be found at
http://www.ntsug.org/meetings.html, hope to see ya there.

Patrick S. Harper | CISSP RHCT MCSE
www.internetsecurityguru.com

Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you