Snort mailing list archives

Re: SYN Proxy

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:23:15 -0400

Xavier Cabrera wrote:
Hello:

Thanks for all your answers. Wel i think too the best aproach for this is doing on iptables like Will say.. but if we really want a IPS with snort maybe we can start to think on that solution. Maybe people of sourcefire can plant this solution for future releases.

If snort in future can handle the connections with syn proxy or (seudo syn proxy) validating the real one's before they can pass can start to think in the best IPS of the World

Well, i have to continue with my two boxes.... Like Matt say... right now i have a Linux-Snorted behind a BSD.... and that is not elegant.... A firewall behind another one?

Personally, I hardly care about "elegance" in networking. However, one thing I do care about is security.

The stacked-firewall configuration has some downsides in terms of MTBF, but in all cases would be more secure than a single box running both packages.

If both firewalls are on the same box, a remote-access exploit of either firewall will ultimately breach the entire firewall.

In a stacked configuration, exploiting the outer-most firewall offers some benefit to the attacker, but the network is still protected by the second firewall. The stacked configuration also screens the second firewall, making it more difficult to attack, although a successful exploit of the second firewall box would be a complete breach.

However, now you've got 2 boxes, so hardware failure is more likely than with one box (if either box has a hardware failure, you're communication will be cut off).

Really, I don't think of the lack of elegance as a consideration at all. I would however consider if the lower MTBF outweighs the possibly marginal security gains.