Snort mailing list archives

Re: Free Inodes

From: Nigel Houghton <nigel () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:47:37 -0500

First of all, I apologize for the length of this message, I just
included all the replies and the original message purely for the mail
archive being a little more readable.

I-Nodes gentlemen, are the actual issue here. What you are all failing
to mention is that a partition not only relies on the size given to it
but the size of the inodes allowed. Thus, a 10 Gig partition with an
inode size of 1024 will hold considerably more files than the same
partition with an inode size of 4096, quite possibly, four times as
many files.

When folks run out of inodes, it rarely means they are out of disk
space, more than likely they have a larger inode size and a lot of very
small files hanging around. The default inode size in a FreeBSD install
is IIRC 2048, although I haven't done an install using the defaults in a
very long time. There are many things that can suck up room in /var,
mail messages, mail logs, anti-virus logs,
installing/deinstalling/modifying ports, updating the system and running
mergemaster, etc... You should look around in /var and see what is
taking up those inodes. ( man df should help you out here )

Having said all that, there is nothing wrong with adding another hard
drive and logging your snort events, and only your snort events, to that
drive if you so wish. You could also use that second drive as the whole
/var partition, just edit your fstab correctly and you should be good to
go after un-mounting and re-mounting the new partion. ( this is probably
best achieved by a reboot for the inexperienced user, since nasty things
can happen to the unwary )

For what it's worth, the defaults used when partitioning a drive in the
FreeBSD install are meant as a guide and should not be relied on for
special applications, as one of the replies below mentioned.

Today's Topics:

   1. Free Inodes (Dan Mahoney, System Admin)
   3. Re: Free Inodes (Jason)
   4. Re: Free Inodes (J-H Johansen)
   8. Re: Free Inodes (Dan Mahoney, System Admin)
   9. Re: Free Inodes (Matt Kettler)

Message: 1