Snort mailing list archives

Re: snorcenter2, Base, bleeding rules and sid-msg.map

From: Wes Young <wcyoung () buffalo edu>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 08:43:43 -0400

Thats cool... Make things alot easier for barnyard users... I've been
working on incorporating it into snortcenter2 (locally) when a ruleset
is pushed down... but if snort did it on the fly... that'd be phenominal
;-) (assuming sf is doing the same for all the map files)

i might look into that code, it shouldn't be terribly hard to
incorporate, would it? just read in the snort.dag0.conf type file and,
parse for alert/pass/log and read in the msg clause... actually, it
prolly would be even easier if it was done when the rule chain was
created... no?

Only snag I can see being run into is that for users that use barnyard,
barnyard has to be restarted before snort starts writing to the files,
although the time diff is very short... snort could fire an alert on a
new rule before barnyard has the chance to re-read the new config. Maybe
building it into barnyard would be easier? (just shooting out ideas at
this point).....

Joel Esler wrote:
Marty actually recently discussed the ability to generate the
sid-msg.map upon Snort startup.  Maybe we'll see that soon!!