Snort mailing list archives

Snort on XP SP2 W/ MSSQL

From: "James Bruce" <jbruce () unitedscience com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:09:17 -0500

FYI:  I re-ran the create_mssql again in query analyzer and everything
is working fine now. Not for sure why it didn't take the first time. I
probably  selected  the wrong db. I added "use snort" in the beginning
of  the  script  so  that it could not happen again, if that is what I
did.

    Hi,

    Hopefully  someone  can  help me. I'm trying to get snort 232 build
12
    running  on  XP  SP2 w/ one interface. I keep getting the error
listed
    below when I start the service. I have followed the snort
installation
    guide: Installing a complete IDS using IIS 5/6 Webserver step by
step.
    When  I  get to the part to test the service I get the following
error
    listed below.

    I  have  checked to make sure the user snort has the proper INSERT
and
    SELECT  permissions. I have also verified that the CREATE TABLE
sensor
    was  listed  in the create_mssql script that was run in query
analyzer
    for the snort database.

    This is listed in the event viewer:

When this plugin starts, a SELECT query is run to find the sensor id
for the currently  running  sensor.  If the sensor id is not found, the
plugin will run an INSERT  query  to insert the proper data and generate
a new sensor id.  Then a SELECT query is run to get the newly allocated
sensor id.

 If that fails then this error message is generated.

     Some possible causes for this error are:

      * the user does not have proper INSERT or SELECT privileges

      * the sensor table does not exist

      If  you  are _absolutely_ certain that you have the proper
privileges
      set and that  your database structure is built properly please let
me              know if you continue to get this error.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    James Bruce