Snort mailing list archives

Re: Smoe questions about Snort & ACID !

From: Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 07:13:07 -0400

You should also switch to BASE instead of ACID.  It's much faster.

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/secureideas

Joel

On May 17, 2005, at 1:05 AM, James Riden wrote:

mahboobeh soleimani <mah_soleimani () yahoo com> writes:

    1. In a worm situation that all of our bandwidth is used with
    attack , how does Snort react and it means ,does libpcap capture
    all of packets in our network or just some of the packets and
    does Snort process every packet which it receives?

    2. analyzing all of the packets in a worm situation how much can
    increase the Snort's CPU usage?

On the hardware you give, snort should cope just fine, even with a
full 10mbit/s pipe. I would expect it to cope with 100mbit/s + with
the default ruleset.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer

Joel Esler
Owner, BlackTie Defense