Snort mailing list archives

sensor drops packets ?

From: "Juan Fernandez" <Juan.Fernandez () deltathree com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:36:38 +0300

Hi,

One of my senosers which is located in the dmz an listens to the treffoc
there seems to not capturing all the data. I use AAnval to see the
alerts and there I noticed that I see just packets that the source ip is
my network. ( this is a loaded dmaz with many web servers. so I worked
on this sensor with tcpdump and there I saw in the last line that:
26152 packets received by filter
23806 packets dropped by kernel

why is that ?
the nic operates an 100 mb full duplex...

thanks !

juan