Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rogue system detection

From: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman () ip-solutions net>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:25:15 -0400

arpwatch is quite good for this sort of thing

John Hally wrote:
Hello All,

I have a question that's not necessarily a snort thing, but I have no idea what other list to ask, so here goes. What are people using out there for rogue system detection? I'm trying to figure out how to passively detect when a 'new' system comes online in the local network and possibly detect the os and such. I imagine the tool would have to be able to match MAC addresses to deal with changing addresses and DHCP, along with report/alert when something new comes online. Maybe RNA?

Thanks in advance!

John H.