Snort mailing list archives

Re: Why content and not uricontent?

From: Holger Mense <holger () project2501 de>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:07:58 +0200

Hi,

thank you for your answer. I thought about it, however, I didn't get it ;)

* Brian <bmc () snort org>:
On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:43:59PM +0200, Holger Mense wrote:
Now I am curios. Can someone explain me, if there are any reasons
for using content over uricontent?

phf can be exploited via POST as well as GET.  http inspect doesn't
provide a normalized parameter detection method,

I don't understand this. Using uricontent="QALIAS" worked for me, even when
the string "qalias" used hex encoding. And this part of the URL already
belongs to the parameter.

so we use content to catch both GET and POST attacks.

Which does not catch the different encodings.

Thanks for your help,
Holger Mense

--
Holger Mense