Snort mailing list archives

RE: Newbie: What does this mean?

From: "Information Technology" <itnotify () ashgate com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:12:11 -0400

It sounds like your sensor is outside your firewall/NAT box.  If so, you
could run tcpdump, or your favorite packet sniffer, on the internal network,
which would allow you to correlate events with your snort sensor logs.  You
could use the time/date of the tcpdump output to determine which local
workstation or server is triggering the alert.  Just be sure that your
sensor and the PC you run tcpdump on are showing the same time (to allow you
to correlate events between the two).

Nick