Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Deamon

From: Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez <jkerouac () bgsec com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:46:52 +0100

El mié, 23-02-2005 a las 17:12 -0500, Jiju Menon escribió:
IHello,

I am trying to use a Snort daemon from the website
http://msbnetworks.net/snort/snortd.txt,

I am running snort on a machine with 3 interfaces and I would like to
run snort in all interfaces.
There is a parameter INTERFACE= , in the file. What value should I
give if I want snort to sniff all interfaces?

Just use:
INTERFACE=any

But you have to change the script. What it's wrong it's the script
you are using. It specifies the variable INTERFACE but it doesn't
use it later to launch snort, so it won't work.

Change the line:
daemon /usr/local/bin/snort -u snort -g snort -d -D \
                -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

to:

daemon /usr/local/bin/snort -u snort -g snort -d -i $INTERFACE -D \
                -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

and it will work.

By default, it takes only eth0 and does not seem to change interface
even if I specify eth1, or eth2.

Any help is welcome.

Thank you

Regards.