Snort mailing list archives

Re: Tao of doing it right: Ignoring bad advice and doing it the Bilano way!

From: Richard Bejtlich <taosecurity () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:17:35 -0500

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:53:50 -0800,
snort-users-request () lists sourceforge net
<snort-users-request () lists sourceforge net> wrote:
See, at first I decided I would use this Squil IDS thing but that crazy
Russian guy that wrote down the docs said I needed to keep every packet
in a database (who has time for being a packet rat like that?) to make
sure I don't get hackered by the nerds! Well that makes a whole hell of
a lot of sense! If you keep them online in a database and you get hacked
then the hacker will be able to just copy and paste them packets and
whammo! Instant replay attack! Maybe I should I gift wrap them too?
Smart thinking there you Bolshevik dundernuts! First Northcut drops his
drawers at SANS and now this Betjitch guy wants to pinch it off for the
hackers! His book should be called Tao of Network Reach-arounds!

This is funny.  Russian is close, but I think my heritage lies a
little farther west of Moscow.  :)

Sguil does try to log packets to collect full content data, but never
to a database Billy boy!  That's Silent Runner, not Sguil.

I'm glad you liked my book.  I'm working on a sequel you'll love.

Richard Bejtlich
http://www.taosecurity.com