Snort mailing list archives

RE: Rule Selection

From: "Adam Kliarsky" <360air () comcast net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:14:10 -0800

Not an approach I'd recommend...you may reduce your false positives, but are
still subject to human error and subsequent true negatives. Man hours vs.
system compromise.
Consider using an approach that involves 'turning off' certain rules rather
than groups of rules. Define your environment in snort.conf, and turn off
rules you know you do not need.
Even though only tcp/80 is the only port listening, you have other attack
vectors; shellcode, icmp floods, etc. that the ids can correlate on. Keep in
mind a targetted attack may attempt other avenues, and it'd be nice to
correlate that in the alerts.
Just my $0.02
Adam