Snort mailing list archives

Rule Actions

From: Rob Ward <rob.ward () liverpool ac uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:30:48 +0000

Hi, I'm running Snort with 'flexresp' to help control the amount of peer to peer traffic on our halls network. I've used the standard P2P.rules file with react:block; i.e:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"P2P GNUTella client request"; flow:to_server,established; content:"GNUTELLA"; depth:8; classtype:policy-violation; sid:1432; rev:6; react:block;)

This has been successful to a point but the huge number of alerts generated are a problem. We're aware of the amount of p2p use on our network so I'd like to stop the alerts being generated but still use react:block; to send TCP resets.

Yesterday I changed the P2P.rules to be type 'log' instead of 'alert':

log tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"P2P GNUTella client request"; flow:to_server,established; content:"GNUTELLA"; depth:8; classtype:policy-violation; sid:1432; rev:6; react:block;)

I thought that this meant no entries would be generated in the alert file but they're still being output?

Regards

Rob Ward
Network Northwest Support
University of Liverpool