Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: Permission denied (snort Snort)

From: Nigel Houghton <nigel () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:34:48 -0600

On  0, snort Snort <snort_sam () yahoo com> allegedly wrote:

Thanks, I don't think I setup chflags on the system
directorys including /usr/local/bin. Anyway I executed
the chflags commands:
# chflags -R nouchg /usr/local/bin
# chflags -R noschg /usr/local/bin
# chmod go+rwx /usr/local/bin

But make install in snort still give the same error
(Permission denied on /usr/local/bin).

Thanks
Sam

Check the permissions on the directory, if the write bit is not set even
root (which you said you were doing this as) cannot write to the
directory.

What you did already was to give group and others write and read
permission. Make sure the directory is at least mode 0755.

 chmod -R 0755 /usr/local/bin

Since you are not mentioning any other errors with these commmands, I
am assuming the directory actually exists and the partition is mounted.
(not sure why it wouldn't be but you never know)

                   Vulnerability Research Team

   Stewie: This is treason.. for God sakes Peter make an example of
   her.. nothing says 'obey me' like a bloody head on a fence post.