Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Install for monitoring 5 interfaces?

From: sEc nErD <umkcguy1978 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 07:21:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi LEon,Thanks for your reply.Ok right now i have set it up in a test lab enviornment and its listening on one
interface.I am still not clear what i would have to do for listening on 5 different interfaces???
i have the acid up and running just not contacting the mysql database but tht i will struggle and work around,but i do
need to understand the part for 5 interfaces...could you please detail on thzt
thanks

Leon Ward <leon () countersnipe com> wrote:
Hi
Sorry if this is a bit quick, but in a rush.

snort needs to connect to a single interface on start-up, this leaves
you with two options.
A) Have multiple snort instances running bound to each interface.
- This will allow you to customise the configuration for each, I assume
you will want to protect different things on the DMZ compared to the
internal_net
B) Team the interfaces together so you can attach snort to interface
bond0

Take a look at the following link, it may answer a few questions (I'm a
debian man myself)
http://www.ms.washington.edu/Docs/Linux/rhel-rg-en-3/s1-networkscripts-interfaces.html#S2-NETWORKSCRIPTS-INTERFACES-CHAN

Hope the above helps.

-Leon