Snort mailing list archives

RE: ACID Dates

From: Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:42:50 -0500

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 10:59, Michael Steele wrote:
BASE is an extension of ACID. Although you may not see visible changes, the
code has been updated, and there have been enhancements added. As far as the
time to refresh the database; it has always been there and that could be a
great concern to many.

I will assume that this concern is due to the way that ACID and BASE
perform when presented with a LARGE database.  In the next version of
BASE, we have received a patch that GREATLY improves performance on
mysql databases and we are trying to port the patch to postgres.

My suggestion is to keep the database down to under
300k alerts and increase memory to 1GB. I really don't think there is much
that can be done here, other then changing the schema of the database, and
the way BASE access the new database schema.

The BASE project team is also working on a new design for BASE that will
be designed from the ground up to perform and include the features that
people have asked for.