Snort mailing list archives

Re: Logging retransmitted pkts.

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:06:49 -0500

At 03:51 AM 1/29/2005, Mike Mestnik wrote:
The only thing I can really do is log retransmitted pkts.  Luckily I'm
only interested in TCP, so retransmitted pkts should be easy to spot.  The
problem is I have seen many program to monitor TCP flows(iptraf, tcpdump,
potion) but non of them have an easy way to count duplicates.

Erm, why not just use netstat -s on the sending box (works on windows and *nix)

Trying to track retransmitted packets from a sniffer would be slightly tricky, as you'd have to create a live windowed database of all the previous packets. Certainly this isn't likely to be related to a network attack, so snort isn't going to have much in the way of facilities built in to detect this. You might be able to hack stream4 to do this, but you'd almost certianly have to go in and modify its code to do so.

Also, in the case of TCP retransmissions will be relatively few, due to TCP's congestion avoidance algorithm. As soon as one packet gets dropped, TCP should back its sending rate down to avoid future drops. Thus you really shouldn't see more than one or two drops per socket open, and for short sessions, 0.

---------
TCP Statistics for IPv4

  Active Opens                        = 851
  Passive Opens                       = 1
  Failed Connection Attempts          = 0
  Reset Connections                   = 4
  Current Connections                 = 8
  Segments Received                   = 28023
  Segments Sent                       = 18778
  Segments Retransmitted              = 39