Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.3.0 Final released!

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:45:59 -0600

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 11:04 +0200, Nerijus Krukauskas wrote:
   Well, fixes for these two (I'm just guessing) broke the way the
comments are handled in threshold/suppress configs. I'm used to put a
short comment after threshold/suppress command in threshold.conf. That
way I know why I've put it there. E.g.

suppress gen_id 1, sig_id 3003, track by_src, ip x.y.z.w  # hostname
(MBSA/AV scans)

   snort-2.3.0 now barfs on me because of the slash (/) in comment. If
I change it to dash (-), then it parses the command without errors.

   Am I not supposed to put comments this way or is this a small bug?

Same thing happened to me. I send in a patch which apparently didn't
make it into the release. It's attached to this email. With it, you can
patch sfthreshold.c and continue using slashes in comments in
threshold.conf.

Note: Slashes elsewhere may still break things. This issue should be
fixed centrally in the parser. My patch only addresses the parsing for
threshold.conf.

Regards,
Frank