Snort mailing list archives

Re: Multiple Snort Instances

From: "adelein rodriguez" <arodr059 () cs fiu edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:42:29 -0500 (EST)

the problem is that the snort script uses the function pidof. When it does
a restart it looks for the pidof snort to see if it is already running, if
it is then it kills it and then starts it over again, if it doesnt find it
then it start a new process. Make sure pidof is in a common path, to
simplify the problem, just do a whereis pidof, copy the path and put it in
the snort init file instead of having pidof alone. This way you will know
for sure that it is finding the pid of snort and not starting another new
process. I went through this problem already. This is of course for
linux/unix OS.

--Adelein

Bob,

I do something similar.  I use `killall snort` though.  It seems to work
fine.

Matt.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:05:58 -0800, Bob Konigsberg