Snort mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IDS

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:37:16 +1300

Bamm Visscher wrote:

I like what Marty and crew is doing with RNA too.  Check out pads [3]
for a poor man's implementation.  Passive OS and application detection
(pads calls it passive asset detection) can help put an alert into
context.  Context is a huge piece of analysis, but often an
afterthought and/or not included with most commercial implementations.

So true! I gave a SANS@Night presentation at the SANS Network Security 2004 on our company's rollout of Snort over our world-wide network. We mainly use it for monitoring our WAN links these days.

One of the main points I tried to make was that getting an alert that says "IP 192.168.3.4 appears to be exploiting the DCOM vuln on 1.6.4.5" doesn't mean much when:

a> the IS recipient doesn't know what COUNTRY 192.168.3.4 is in (Trimble has sites in in >20 countries, and IS staff don't know that sort of information off the tops of their heads) b> the recipient doesn't know details about 192.168.3.4 (like it's hostname. Has anyone managed to get Active Directory DDNS working anywhere approaching reliably?) c> the recipient doesn't know who owns that machine, or what business group/etc it's owned by

Technical solutions are great - but "a" can only be answered by knowledge of the network infrastructure (i.e. the Networking Group), "b" by the Windows group and "c" by Asset Tracking.

I've written our Alerting system to take the "raw" events out of snort (and other sources) and merge them with "a", "b" and "c" that I wrote hooks into, so that we now get alerts like "Windows host FRANKY (192.168.3.4) in the Paris office (owner: Franky Valley, Marketing) appears to be exploiting the DCOM vuln on MARGE". Much more useful :-)

Now I'm waiting for commercial products to offer the same: *integration* with existing databases. I don't want yet-another-copy-of-sixteen-databases-you'll-have-to-keep-in-sync-via-our-bl**dy-JAVA-app - I want *integration*.

</rant> :-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417