Snort mailing list archives

Re: Newbie - More help for First run of snort :(

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:55:26 -0500

At 10:02 AM 1/18/2005, Jiju Menon wrote:
The first time I ran Snort-2.3.ORC2 on Redhat9 I got the error

ERROR: Unable to open rules file:
/root/snortDir/snort-2.3.ORC2/rules/local.rules or
/etc/snort//root/snortDir/snort-2.3.ORC2/rules/local.rules
Fatal Error, Quitting..

All the files are in the rules folder and the path given in the
snort.conf file is correct.

The Snort runs when I comment the include statements in the snort.conf file.

I am running Snort as a root user and I feel he has access to the snort folder.

Based on such limited information, all I can really say is one of your statements is in error. Either the files are not where you claim, or there's a lack of access to the files. Given that you're running as root, lack of access seems a bit unlikely, but it's still possible...

Can you include some additional information so we can help you narrow in on the problem?

1) what does your invocation of snort look like? Most importantly, are you passing snort -t, -g or -u ?

2) what does the include statement for local.rules look like?

3) what does your var RULE_PATH statement in snort.conf look like?

4) ls -l /root/snortDir/snort-2.3.ORC2/rules/

Note: make sure you use an O as in OUT not 0 is in 01234 in the ls -l.