Snort mailing list archives

Re: rules vs. suppress

From: Jeremy Hewlett <jh () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:48:11 -0500

Sorry for the delayed response. [insert standard excuse here] ;)

On Thu, Mar 24, Lee Clemens wrote:
That all makes sense, but a serious caveat...what suppress statement
wouldn't cause the rule to be pointless? (alert any any <> 10/8 any)

After having a better look at what you're trying to do, Marc Norton
and I both agree.  Making a broad suppression generalization does
nullify your rule statement - you do shutdown quite a bit of alerting
this way. Suppression is too specific for what you want.

Am I overlooking a simple solution for this?

Your original 21 rules were better for what you're trying to do.  I'd
be happy to poke at your config with you. Send it to me off list if
you want.