Snort mailing list archives

reg Snort IDMEF plugin problem, NULL facility

From: Mayank Bhatnagar <mayank () ncb ernet in>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:30:04 +0530 (IST)

hi Snort Users,

I have installed Snort IDMEF plugin. There were some initial problems with
patching but that were sorted by manually patching the file. I didnt get
further problems in configure and make, make install. Then I enabled IDMEF
plugin in configuration in snort.conf, with the following minimum but MUST
arguments,

output idmef: 172.16.5.0/24 output=log
logto=/var/log/snort/idmef_alerts.log analyzerid=IDS1
dtd=/data/EIDS/CodeTrials/EC/Tools/snort-idmef/idmef-message.dtd

and ran snort for some time in default alert mode with -dev options,

I am getting the following error

ERROR: IDMEF: cannot output messages on a NULL facility

I referred for this error in Snort Users archive and found a similar
posting,

        http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2003-09/0565.html

The error refers to the same NULL facility, but there has been no
answers/reply.

Please suggest what could be problem. I am sure there is some
configuration problem with respect to the output idmef: plugin. But since
Snort initially says

IDMEF: No stored alert id.  Continuing with alert id = 1
Snort IDMEF Plugin successfully initialized

it is sugesting IDMEF has been properly initialised.

My OS: Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang)
Snort version: snort-2.3.0
snort-idmef version: snort-idmef-plugin-1.2.1alpha2.0.5
Libidmef: libidmef-0.7.3-beta (source bz2)

Thanks & Regards,
Mayank Bhatnagar
mayank () ncb ernet in

68 Electronics City ,