Snort mailing list archives

RE: Span/Snoop ports...

From: "Snort" <Snort () InterCept Net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:31:07 -0500

Your particular cisco switch does not have span port capabilities, by
the release notes (of course you already knew that)

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l3sw/4908g_l3/ios_12/rel
_nts/78_7194.htm#wp17049

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l3sw/4908g_l3/ios_12/rel
_nts/78_7194.htm#wp57935

Table 4 Features Not Supported on the Catalyst 2948G-L3 and the Catalyst
4908G-L3 Switch Routers

 Features Not Supported

Layer 2 source MAC address filtering with standard Access Control List
(ACL)

User Datagram Protocol (UDP) turbo flooding

Port-based snooping (SPAN)

The 2948G-L3 is end of life, and more than likely superseded by the
2950.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_eol_notice091
86a008032d4ff.html

The new switches comes with either SMI or EMI, EMI gives more
functionally like BPG routing, rate limiting, QOS, high availablity etc
etc. The 2950 only comes in EMI. The SMI

The next model up for yours is the 2950, which handles SPAN ports and
RSPAN (remote port span), but it does not manage L3 vlans, only
participates in them.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_data_shee
t09186a00801cfb64.html

the next switch that handles L3 is the 3550

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_data_shee
t09186a00800913d7.html

You could however, setup a Linux server as gateway for your internal LAN
and point all your desktops and servers to it, and make it's default
gateway the L3 switch, so, you pretty much insert your self in the
network and then sniff that traffic. But that pretty much will only
sniff broadcast and traffic between networks... you could also, get a
good Dell powerconnect hub, uplink it to the cisco and connect all your
devices to it and sniff on that....

Thanks,

Michael Brown

  _____