Snort mailing list archives

Re: updating snort 2.1 using CVS

From: Jeremy Hewlett <jh () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:27:09 -0500

On Tue, Mar 15, Brian Schreiner wrote:

   which  I used and it downloaded the updated source, my question is how
   do  I update my installation after that? is there another command like
   the  one above? If so what is it? or does that do it already? How do I
   tell? Sorry for all the questions, but im pretty new to this.

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by 'installation' per se, so
I'll just cover a few bases. The following assumes you've already
issued your 'co' command and have source on your local drive now.

To synchronize your local sources with any changes made by
sourcefire/snort.org:

  "cvs -z3 update"

To compile your checked out code, issue these commands from your
source tree:

  "sh ./autojunk"
  "./configure [any options here]"
  "make"

Then just install how you normally would.

As a side note, you should be using SNORT_2_3. SNORT_2_1 is obsoleted.