Snort mailing list archives

Re: Enterprise rollout - 50+ Distributed sensors with centralized managment / alerting / analysis

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:00:01 +1300

Shon wrote:

I'm looking for some enterprise implementation advise.
We have around 50 field offices that we'd like to
deploy Snort in, along with a fairly large corporate
office deployment. The 50 field offices are WAN
connected, usually with a T-1/VPN solution.

Sounds similar to us. We have Snort running all over the world.

My question is how to deploy Snort so that I can
manage the alerts/reports from all of these sensors in
one location?

Don't we all ;-)

From what I've seen the most common solution is to
have the sensors all log to a common DB, but I assume
this solution is impractical over WAN connections with
limited bandwidth. So how do I get around this?

Yup - you don't want snort blocking due to slow network SQL calls.

And that's where barnyard comes in. We run all snort's "local" and use the syslog output processor to trigger real-time alerts, and local SQL backends for the regional IS group to access ACID interfaces. But we use Barnyard to "merge" all those logs into a central SQL server for doing cross-WAN analysis. You set up snort to log in the binary format, then write a cronjob to rsync those files to the central "barnyard server", which then uses barnyard to push that new data into the central SQL database.

BTW: even though it's in place - it's almost unusable. The sheer volume of SQL records makes "browsing" interfaces like ACID effectively useless. You really have to figure out just what kind of information you want to get from your centralized NIDS logs, then write a SQL script that will get the results you want.

I feel the centralized database doesn't hold much advantage over individual databases for most uses. Obviously it'd be nice to go to one app and see all data - but the volume... The big advantage is that it's basically the only way you can see if someone it trying to find a weak point in *your company's network* - instead of just one part of it. e.g. someone running Nessus against one of your DMZes is one thing, one IP address running Nessus against 15 of your DMZes in 8 different countries is a sign you have a *serious* enemy on your hands. Only cross-correlation via centralized logging gives you that functionality. However, it's sad to say that these days even that has false positives. We had one incident where a Korean IP address attacked our DMZes in 3 different countries (in a 2 day period) - and it ended up been CodeRed from a well-connected machine... Sad.

Jason