Snort mailing list archives

Re: problems with barnyard, snort and mysql

From: Kevin Smith <kjsmith () tm net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:13:14 -0500

Hey Alejandro,

I used what you wrote to me and I am getting this for an error:

WARNING /usr/local/src/barnyard-0.2.0/etc/barnyard.conf(127) => Unknown output plugin "alert_acid_db" referenced, ignoring!Fatal Error, Quitting..
Exiting

I guess my next question would be where do I define that output plug-in. Thanks for your reply.

Kevin

Alejandro Flores wrote:

Hey,

snort.conf:
output log_unified: filename /var/log/snort/snort.log, limit 128

barnyard.conf:
output alert_acid_db: mysql, database DBNAME server localhost,
sensor_id 1, user DBUSER, password DBPASS

Start Barnyard:
barnyard -c /etc/barnyard.conf -d /var/log/snort -a
/var/log/snort-archive -f snort.log -w /var/log/snort/waldo -s
/etc/snort/sid-msg.map -g /etc/snort/gen-msg.map -p
/etc/snort/classification.config -D

Start Snort with no '-A' and '-b' options. (for example:)
snort -C -d -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i IF_YOURE_LISTENING_TO -D

Ok, now just relax and wait. Next, install BASE to analyse data.
http://secureideas.sourceforge.net/

Have fun,
Alejandro Flores

Hey everyone,

I already posted his on the forums but I noticed that I was accepted
into the mailing list so I will also write it here as well, never hurts
to cover all of your bases ;D. I am configuring a server that is using
snort to examine traffic that would normally be deleted. By that, I mean
traffic who's IP does not resolve to a valid location. We are using this
information to detect possible users with virus on their machines. My
question is what is a good configuration for Snort and Barnyard to work
with MySQL. All the information I really need in the database is the
source IP and port, destination IP and port, and the time that the
packet was received. I am guessing that the '-A fast' option will take
care of that part. So what should I have snort log too, what should
barnyard pickup, and how do I export it to the database? I have tried a
few different ways and I haven't had any luck. Thanks in advance for any
solutions to my problem.