Snort mailing list archives

Re: hardware requirements

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:24:37 +0000

--On 10 January 2005 06:40 -0600 Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com> wrote:

As a strang recent example, we're trying to identify why a
specific client's server with two gige interfaces cannot sustain
traffic throughput greater then 170,000 bits/sec through a single
interface.

That's really poor. I get ~95% of 100BaseT (i.e. about 95,000,000 bits/sec) when serving ~600MByte files via FTP from a P4 2.40B to a PIII 450 client. Nothing special infrastructure wise, either; the client uses an Realtek 8139-based NIC I bought for under 10GBP and the server uses the on-board Intel Pro-100VE. The switch is a no-name I bought for 20GBP.

I'm under no illusions that this is 'enterprise' hardware or even a remotely similar test, but the performance you're indicating is /so/ poor it indicates something is /seriously/ wrong for you.

We've double-checked all the basic stuff, and there
are no errors or discards happening anywhere, including the
correctly configured cisco switch that it attachs to. We'll find
the issue, but we're just not there as yet.

Are you sure all your units of measurement are correct?! ;-)

Rich

Best Regards,
Alex.