Snort mailing list archives

Re: My Experience with the new Sourcefire VRT rules..

From: Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez <jkerouac () bgsec com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:24:12 +0100

El mar, 08-03-2005 a las 17:35 -0500, Martin Roesch escribió:
Just FYI, I talked to our lawyers about this and it's a standard
provision in software license agreements.  Basically if you're not
violating the use clause in the agreement, then you have absolutely
nothing to be concerned with.  Stormtroopers wearing Snort masks are
not
going to randomly show up at your door and demand to see your books.
In the unlikely event we suspect that someone is trying to distribute
the VRT rules for a profit, this provision merely provides us some
recourse to seek assurances that our suspicions are incorrect, or, as a
last
resort, perform an audit.  Audits are expensive and going around
performing them without cause will certainly do us more harm then good.
  And it goes without saying that we would comply and respect local law
before attempting to do anything.

      -Marty

The problem it's that you *need* the audit to assure the company
it's violating your license agreement. At least in my country
no judge will let you do that unless you *know for sure* the license
it's being violated, and even in that case you need a judge order
so *the police* can investigate the facts. So you *can't* do it
in any case.

And remember that in most countries you *can't suspect* nothing
about anyone. If you have *proves* you go to the law, if you
don't then you can't accuse anyone, and you can't investigate
private companies data by yourself.

And obviously you can't say: If you are not doing something wrong
you don't have to care about the clause. That's not the problem,
the problem it's me signing a license and agreeing or not with
*all* the clauses, that it's what you ask for.

As I've already said I agree with the new Licensing Terms, but
this clause should be cut from the license or many companies
won't accept it.

Regards.

--

Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez