Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Center 2.x

From: Alex Kirk <alex.kirk () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:32:08 -0500

Jason,

I went out and got the latest copy of Snortcenter from Sourceforge (snortcenter-release.tar.gz from 2004-12-29, to be precise) when I saw this, so I could help you get it fixed. You'll at least need to update $snortrules_url in config.php to add an Oinkcode and reflect the new location, as discussed on this list by those using Oinkmaster. Just for clarification, once you register -- which is free and easy -- you can generate an Oinkcode for each IP that you need to download rules from with a very simple form in the User Preferences section of the new site.

In cases where forced downloading is not enabled (i.e. there is no "force" parameter in the URI for db_pars.php, and thus if(!$force) succeeds on line 32 of that file), you'll also need to have an updated MD5 download path. At the moment, we don't have a snortrules-snapshot-2.3.tar.gz.md5 file, but that should be fixed shortly.

Alex Kirk
Research Analyst
Sourcefire, Inc.

Hello,

For all of you that are using Snortcenter still the new snort website has totally broken all rule import functionality. I'm looking at the different rule sets and what the requirements are for getting them and what information needs to be passed to the website. But at this time I'm not sure what needs to be done to get it working again.

Jason Alexander