Snort mailing list archives

Re: Unified output and multiple .map's.

From: Andreas Östling <andreaso () it su se>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:54:04 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

I was wondering how people using the unified output, the official Snort rules and the bleeding rules are handling their .map files?

It requires the extra step of re-creating the sid-msg.map file after both sets of rules have been applied via Oinkmaster.

I'm sure there are several ways to do this but as seen in http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/oinkmaster/oinkmaster/FAQ?view=markup under "Q26: How do I keep my sid-msg.map up-to-date?", I personally prefer to use create-sidmap.pl to generate the map myself. I would probably do so even if all the tools could handle multiple .map files. A few reasons:

- I don't want to assume that the included sid-msg.map files in all rules archives are updated correctly

- I have local rules and must generate a sid map anyway

- By running create-sidmap.pl you automatically get a sid dup check across all the rules, including local ones. Concatenating several sid-msg.map files without some basic sanity check could be bad.

- Generating a new map is a simple as running create-sidmap.pl and point to all rules directories. Just make sure it's run after each rules update and you'll never have to care about it again.

/Andreas