Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort-inline and iptables INPUT chain

From: Laurent Haond <lhaond () bearstech com>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:30:32 +0100

Big Thanks for your help Will !

Will Metcalf a écrit :

Nothing is showing up in your alert logs? Is it just ssh or does this
happen with all connections?  Try the following....

No alert, no dump.
It happen for all TCP connections ( tested http as well)
It work for udp/icmp (dns queries / ping works )
With advanced firewall rules, forwarded tcp/udp/icmp/whatever connections were OK. but nothing works from lan to the snort box ... (didn't try from internet to the snort box)

iptables -F INPUT
iptables -F OUPUT
iptables -F FORWARD
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT  -j QUEUE
iptables -A FORWARD -j QUEUE iptables -A OUPUT -j QUEUE

in your snort.conf set checksum mode to none.

config checksum_mode: none

Regards,

Will

Adding "config checksum_mode: none" did the job, now it works. (BTW with or without the iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT rule ) I relauched my complete set of firewall rules/ internet connections and it's still working ;-) ( I've some alert about lo / 127.0.01 but they will be easy to avoid bypassing the queue..)

"Googling" on this config directive, i think i could have found it by my self (there is some threads on this list about ssh/tcp issue and this directive),
so i'm sorry if  i've mafe you lose your time...

Let me, please, ask you some more questions :
why are forwarded checksum ok, but some ssh replies corrupted ?
Is this an issue from kernel / iptables / snort ?
(i'm using 2.4.27 kernel / iptables 1.2.11 ... going to upgrade to 1.3.x soon)

Thanks

Regards

Laurent

ps:sorry for my bad english...