Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort dont understand pf (openbsd) format

From: kiko () async com br (Christian Robottom Reis)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:36:18 -0200

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 08:11:59PM -0700, Sean Brown wrote:
Hmm.. from looking at the snort code, snort is using the old pf log header
format, not the current one..
I thought it might be but I'm not qualified to say. Any hope of getting a fix
in by 2.3 or is it too late for that? Is it as simple as putting the
structure for the new log in place of the old one?

Breno and I hacked a patch for this yesterday. It's a rather crude patch
because it doesn't deal with:

    - The fact that you may not have a `modern' libpcap on your system
      (one that when linked to tcpdump can read a modern pf log; that's
      a simple enough test -- freebsd's pftcpdump does work).

    - Backwards-compatibility to old pf logs

We'd love to see it go into 2.3.x, of course -- we're relying on a
patched version of Snort for now, and that's not comfortable.

Does anyone have an idea on how likely acceptance of this is? Deadline?
We could get a cleaned up patch, of course. It would be helpful if
someone with an older OpenBSD box could provide us with a sample log so
we can try and be backwards-compatible (the header format has changed
significantly -- for instance, the address family field is now no longer
a 32-bit integer, to ntohl shouldn't be used in DecodePflog).

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3361 2331