Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort block

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:13:06 +1300

"reynald" <rtm () cybees com> writes:

   hello guys,

   Can somebody tell me if it's possible to have snort block a
   host/s when a specific rule alerted

   10 times?

Yes :)

You can either use snort-inline for 'true' blocking, or you can use
flexresp2 which simply sends fake TCP RSTs to tear the connection
down, or I think there are other plugins which will add firewall rules
(e.g. for iptables or Cisco PIXs). Or you could hack up a custom perl
script to parse /var/log/snort/alert and take whatever action you like
when a particular IP address has triggered a particular rule M times
in N minutes.

I used the latter technique (with portscan.log) in a script which
would go and clobber Blaster/Welchia/Sasser infected hosts after so
many portscan alerts.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer