Snort mailing list archives

false positives?

From: "Jeff Schmidt (CACL Tech Asst)" <schmidje () oplin org>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:14:32 -0500

Hello,
I'm receiving a high number of the following alert: " nessusnessus[cve <http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=2003-0818>][icat <http://icat.nist.gov/icat.cfm?cvename=2003-0818>][bugtraq <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/9635>][bugtraq <http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/9633>][snort <http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?sid=2383>] NETBIOS SMB-DS DCERPC NTLMSSP asn1 overflow attempt"

From the alert description, it would appear to be a virus or worm of some sort that is attempting to infect our Active Directory server. However, we have up-to-date virus protection (Symantec A/V 9 with up-to-date virus defs) on all our workstations, and a scan of any of the workstations does not report any threats detected. So, I'm wondering if this alert is possibly a false positive that is just detecting normal windows network activity between our workstations and our domain server? I should note that the destination address of these alerts is *always* the AD server and never any other machine. Is it safe to turn off this detection rule?

Also, I'm getting another alert that appears that it might be related: "NETBIOS SMB-DS IPC$ share unicode access." Again, is this just snort detecting completely normal traffic?

Jeff Schmidt