Snort mailing list archives

Re: Supressing alerts

From: Patrick Marquetecken <patrick.marquetecken () pandora be>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:52:42 +0100

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:16:04 +0530
"Senthil Prabu.S" <prabu333 () hotpop com> wrote:

I got a lot of SCAN Proxy Port 8080 attempt [sid 620] alerts, but they
come all from my subnet (10.35.x.x) to (10.32.x.x).
what is the best way to "hide" this ?
My var_home contains 10.32.0.0/24,10.35.0.0/24

I was thinking of using the Threshold.conf file like:
suppress gen_id X, sig_id 620, track by_src ip 10.35.0.0/24
if this is a good idee, but where do i find the gen_id ?

Hi,
  I think you  are using older version of snort rules.Because these kinds of
noisy rules
have been moved to the deleted.rules file in snort -2.2.0.So update ur snort
rules
reguilarily to get rid of these noisy and unnecessary alerts.

Use latest version of snort and its rules.

HTH,
--
Senthil Prabu.S

Indeed I updated my test machine, but forgot the production machine.

Patrick