Snort mailing list archives

RE: No Alerts Being Generated

From: "Kaplan, Andrew H." <AHKAPLAN () PARTNERS ORG>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:40:43 -0400

Hi there --

I made the change within the snort.conf file you had suggested. I also ran the
snort -T command
and it ran through the configuration without reporting back any errors. Finally,
I installed NeWT,
the Windows version of Nessus, on another machine and ran several different
tests on the snort box.
The tests I ran were portscans and the "SANS Top 20" list. After the scans were
finished, I checked
the alert file as well as the ACID GUI. Neither one mentioned any alert
conditions taking place.

As a further test, I changed the !HOME_NET setting back to any to see if that
made any difference.
It did not. What should I look for next?