Snort mailing list archives

FW: [Barnyard-users] Barnyard over SSL

From: SRH-Lists <giermo () 333tech com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:29:16 -0500

Forwarding this to snort-users to prod folks to let mysql know that they
should add the QPL (Barnyard's License) to their FLOSS exceptions list
for Mysql 4.0.  Without this addition, BY will not be able to support
Mysql 4.x.

Go here to speak up:
http://www.mysql.com/company/contact/

-steve

Also, from the 3.23 change log:

Changes in release 3.23.19
--------------------------

    * Changed copyright for all files to `GPL' for the server code and
      utilities and to LGPL for the client libraries.

So at least at one point there was an explicit decision to have the
libraries under the LGPL.

Other statements aside, these two facts lead me to believe that the
client libraries are covered by the LGPL and can continue to
be linked
in with Barnyard.  Regardless, linking against 4.0 libraries is still
explicitly not allowed.  The exceptions that were added to
4.0 were to
get around the more restrictive licensing for the client libraries.

-A

This is what the manual that came with my 3.23.54 reads:
1. All the MySQL-specific source in the server, the mysqlclient library
and the client, as well as the GNU readline library is covered by the
GNU General Public License. See section H GNU General Public License.
The text of this license can also be found as the file `COPYING' in the
distributions.

So, apparently their docs disagree with each other.

And so does the source, the source for libmysql says LGPL.

As you were.  Sorry for the stir-up.

-steve

PS.  I sent a nag to mysql to get QPL added to the list of FLOSS
exceptions.  I suggest others that use BY do the same.