Snort mailing list archives

Re: ack packets and data sequence

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:44:51 -0400

At 01:34 PM 10/26/2004, Jeffrey Starin wrote:
A nice person responded to my previous query about how to track packets after an alert has been triggered using the dynamic rules. Okay, that is fine, but it is also bringing in packets that just contain header information and not the raw data. I did notice that the data I am looking for always has the ack bit set equal to the previous ack bit, whereas the data I am not interested in always has a different ack bit sequence from the previous. So... I guess my next question would be if there is a way to track only certain ack bits and how would one actually get that bit into a variable or whatever, to track?

I'd try to avoid looking at the ack sequence number (note that the ack bit is just that, one bit, not a number). That's too complicated at this level.

I'd try to use the dsize option instead. Bear in mind however that if your using stream reassembly, dsize might not work.