Snort mailing list archives

Re: barnyard: alert_syslog2 not working

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:51:25 -0400

Botwick, Jason (Genworth, Contractor) wrote:
Here is my barnyard.conf file
config hostname: x.x.x.x
config interface: x
output alert_syslog2: severity: NOTICE; facility: LOCAL1;
#output alert_syslog: LOG_LOCAL2 LOG_ALERT LOG_NDELAY

Here are the lines I added to the syslog.conf file:
local1.*
/var/log/barnyard.log
local2.*
/var/log/barnyard2.log
I SIGHUP'd both syslogd and barnyard. I even tried rebooting once, but Running the command: barnyard -o snort.eth1.alert.1097060734 -c /etc/snort/barnyard.conf Produces no output in /var/log/barnyard.log I have Snort configured to output in unified format. I know that this is
working because I can get Barnyard to log to a database, and also the
alert_syslog plugin works fine (using the commented directive above).
Any ideas why the old syslog plugin works, but the new one doesn't? What am
I forgetting?

The new syslog2 output plug-in uses UDP sockets to send syslog events to the remote server. This was done to allow it to be used on systems without a local syslog daemon. The most likely scenario is that your local syslog daemon is not accepting syslog messages over UDP. In order to use the syslog2 output plug-in you will need to enable this support.

-A

P.S. Barnyard related questions will get my attention much more quickly on the Barnyard mailing lists at SourceForge.